The EAR Production Suite (EPS) is a set of VST® plugins for digital audio workstations (DAWs) that enable sound engineers to produce immersive and personalizable content using the Audio Definition Model (ADM) format and to monitor it for any ITU-R BS.2051 loudspeaker configuration using the ITU ADM Renderer. ADM is the only format available for codec-agnostic Next Generation Audio (NGA) productions. Moreover, the EAR Production Suite enables professionals to import and export ADM files, compliant to the EBU ADM Production profile. The VST® plugins are currently optimized for the Reaper DAW, which features an extension interface that is used to import and export ADM files within a BW64 container. The EAR Production Suite was designed to demonstrate the intended use of the ADM in audio production workflows, so that the standards can be adopted in other professional tools in a consistent manner.
Codec-agnostic NGA productions
Mix independently of loudspeaker setup
Native support for the Audio Definition Model
Free open source implementation
Please note: The tutorial video advises to install the REAPER extension to the REAPER directory of
Program Files on Windows.
Although this will be functional, it is now advised to install to your user directory instead.
Please refer to the installation instructions below.
Import ADM Files
- Select in the menu File -> Create Project from ADM file -> Create from ADM using EAR
- Wait while all ADM elements are being created as tracks and automation curves along with metadata input plugins for each object or channel bed. There will be also tracks and plugins created for the Scene and the Monitoring.
- Disable "Master send" for the Monitoring track routing and add your hardware output there
- Enjoy :)
Start with session template
- Open template in REAPER
- You will find a number of tracks with plugins for further usage
- Two object tracks
- One channel-based track
- One EAR Scene bus
- Two EAR Monitoring buses, one for Stereo monitoring and one for 5.1
- The Scene Plugin has already two audio programmes, one called "English" and one "German"
- All metadata connections between the plugins and I/O routings are set. You can start by importing your audio files into the tracks.
- Switch between the different renderings by exclusive-soloing (CMD+Alt+Click (macOS) / Ctrl+Alt+Click (Win)) the monitoring tracks.
Download and Install
Download the latest EAR Production Suite release (v0.7.3 Beta):
The EPS is designed for REAPER 64-bit, on a 64-bit OS (macOS or Windows). The EAR Production Suite carries the GPL v3.0 license. View the ReadMe and Change Log for this release. Old versions are available here.
Show installation instructions
- Install REAPER
- Copy / install the VST plugins into your common VST folder.
- macOS: ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
- Open REAPER and go to Options -> Preferences -> Plug-Ins -> VST and click Rescan
- Copy / install REAPER ADM Extension into the REAPER plugins folder. Ensure you include the ADMPresets subdirectory.
- macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins
- Windows: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPluginsNote: If you have a previous version of the REAPER Extension installed to C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_adm.dll, then this should be deleted on installation of the latest version.
- Restart REAPER
- You should see a new menu option File -> Create Project from ADM file now. If you don't see this option and you are using Windows, it might be necessary to download and install the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable ("vc_redist.x64.exe") from Microsoft.
A discussion community for users of the EPS is available on the BBC’s MakerBox platform.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Will my exported ADM BW64 files work with other tools, such as the Dolby Atmos Production Suite?
Currently the files are not compatible with the Dolby Atmos Production Suite.
The cause of this problem is that each set of tools currently uses a different ADM profile. The EAR Production Suite uses the EBU ADM Production profile, whereas the Dolby Atmos tools use Dolby’s ADM profile specification. The EAR Production Suite provides a conversion from the Dolby profile on import, however it only exports to the EBU Production profile and the Dolby tools do not accept this as input. We hope to provide support for ADM profile conversion in future.
More generally, ADM support has been implemented by different manufacturers and there are currently some interoperability issues. The EBU ADM Production profile is not yet widely supported, but we are working with the industry to ensure proper interoperability, using common profiles at the various stages from production through to emission.
Which head-trackers are compatible with the Binaural Monitoring plug-in?
The Binaural Monitoring plug-in accepts listener orientation data over OSC and responds to messages used by several other popular spatial audio plug-in suites. Therefore, if you have a head-tracker which functions with SPARTA/COMPASS, IEM, ambiX, HedRot, AudioLab SALTE, Mach1, or the 3D Tune-In Toolkit, then it should also function with the EPS Binaural Monitoring plug-in. Simply ensure that the "Enable OSC" toggle is on, and that the port number is configured to match that of your head-tracker. Note that the plug-in can not use the port if another plug-in is already using it, so please ensure no other plug-ins are present which use the same port.
If you would like to construct your own low-cost head-tracker for use with the Binaural Monitoring plug-in, consider the nvsonic Head-Tracker for a compatible solution. It should operate with the Binaural Monitoring plug-in using any of the presets for the third-party spatial audio plug-ins listed above.
We are keen to gather feedback on head-tracker compatibility, whether good or bad. Head over to the discussion community on BBC MakerBox and let us know of your experience.
Projects created with very old versions of the EPS no longer load correctly. How do I fix this?
This occurs because it has been necessary to change the ID's of the plug-ins. We have developed utilities to automatically convert your old REAPER projects to ensure they work correctly with the new plug-ins. There is both a command line utility and a GUI application included in the `tools` directory of the download package.
- To use the GUI application, simply launch it and drag-and-drop your RPP files on to it.
- To use the command line utility, pass a path to an input RPP file and a path to an output RPP file as arguments.